Bachelors Degree from an accredited four-year institution.
• Any degree
• Most graduate program prerequisites include Calculus based physics with lab, calculus I and II, anatomy/physiology with lab, psychology, and chemistry I with lab.
• Courses must be completed with 3.0 GPA or higher
• GRE test required
Masters Degree from an accredited National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE) program (without a degree from an NCOPE accredited program, an individual may not sit for board exams).
• 2 years of classroom learning with imbedded nonpaid internships and co-ops
• 1 year of residency at NCOPE residency location in orthotics practicing under American Board Certified orthotist/prosthetist (C.P.O.)
• 1 year of residency at NCOPE residency location in prosthetics practicing under ABC C.P.O.
• Completion of 3 part certification exam within 3 years of residency program
4 attempts to pass each part within 3 years.
Part I: Written Multiple Choice Examination: computer based, a three hour, multiple choice examination that assesses the candidate's knowledge of patient and practice management. Knowledge assessed on the written examinations includes anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, disease process, pathologies, material science, ethics and professionalism.
Part II: Written Simulation Examination: computer based, a three hour interactive exam that uses six simulated case scenarios to test the candidate's analytic and clinical problem solving skills. The cases will include topics such as prescription criteria, device recommendation, technical implementation and follow-up protocols.
Part III: Clinical Patient Management Practical Examination: a hands-on practical examination of knowledge and skills assessed through direct examiner and patient model interaction in a clinical environment. The candidate must perform specific tasks while demonstrating and describing the orthotic or prosthetic recommendation, fitting criteria, patient instructions and follow-up plans involved in the provision of care.
To inquire about employment, please email or call 816.795.9600
If you have an orthotics or prosthetics-related
question for one of our practitioners, please
submit it using the form below.